Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Vegetable Rolls and Sausage Rolls

So I had gotten some sausage meat out to make some sausage rolls when my two favorite food bloggers both posted on these type of things ... Anita at Leave Room for Dessert had made Vegetable Rolls and and old friend, now living in Switzerland,
Kiriel at The Papillon Pantry had made sausage rolls.

It seems that it was a good time for me to post my versions of these yummy treats, the Veggie rolls were inspired by Anita's recipe as it sounded so good. I choose to make them on a Wednesday, why do you ask is that important ... well Gracie my 4 year old has childcare on a Wednesday so I know that she will get nutritious cooked meal for lunch so I don't need to worry as much for her dinner!

I started with the vegetable roll mix first simply as it takes more time to prepare. Both are very easy to make, I like to serve these type of things just warm as I think the flavours are better than when they are piping hot!

Vegetable Rolls (inspired by Anita's)

1 Tbs olive oil

1 leek, finely sliced lengthwise

1 bunch fresh spinach (I cut mine from the garden, about 2-3cups), finely sliced

1/2 large carrot, grated

1 zucchini, grated

400g ricotta (I always get this from the deli as it is not watery)

1 egg

2-4 Tbs Sweet Chili Sauce

salt and pepper to taste

4 sheets of pre-rolled puff pastry

Heat pan, add olive oil, leek and spinach cook on a very low heat to soften the vegetables. I covered them and allowed them to sweat. Leave to cool.

Add all the ingredients to a bowl and stir well to combine. Lay out pastry and make strips of the filling, roll and cut to the length of roll you wish to make. Brush with milk or egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds if you wish.


Bake in a hot oven, 220 Celsius, for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Serve with Sweet Chili Sauce.



Sausage Rolls

800g Sausage meat

1 onion, finely diced

4-8 Tbs Hoi Sin Sauce

1 egg

salt and pepper

4 sheets of pre-rolled puff pastry

Add all the ingredients to a bowl and stir well to combine (I mix with my hand, faster and easier). Lay out pastry and make strips of the filling, roll and cut to the length of roll you wish to make. Brush with milk or egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds if you wish.




Bake in a hot oven, 220 Celsius, for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Serve with Tomato or BBQ Sauce.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! Your vegetable and sausage rolls sound and look great!

    ReplyDelete